Lok Sabha 2014 Winners - Analysis of Criminal and Financial background details of winners
|National Election Watch (NEW) and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) have analysed the self-sworn affidavits of 542 winners out of 543 winners in the Lok Sabha 2014 Elections. The following winner was not analysed due to unclear/incomplete affidavit uploaded on the ECI website at the time of making of this report.|
|1||Jharkhand||Jamshedpur||Bidyut Baran Mahato||BJP||Bad scan|
Final Party Positions in 2014 Lok Sabha Elections
|Bharatiya Janata Party||282|
|Indian National Congress||44|
|All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam||37|
|All India Trinamool Congress||34|
|Biju Janata Dal||20|
|Telangana Rashtra Samithi||11|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)||9|
|Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party||9|
|Nationalist Congress Party||6|
|Lok Jan Shakti Party||6|
|Aam Aadmi Party||4|
|Rashtriya Janata Dal||4|
|Shiromani Akali Dal||4|
|All India United Democratic Front||3|
|Jammu & Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party||3|
|Rashtriya Lok Samta Party||3|
|Indian National Lok Dal||2|
|Indian Union Muslim League||2|
|Janata Dal (Secular)||2|
|Janata Dal (United)||2|
|Jharkhand Mukti Morcha||2|
|Communist Party of India||1|
|All India N.R. Congress||1|
|Kerala Congress (M)||1|
|Naga Peoples Front||1|
|National Peoples Party||1|
|Pattali Makkal Katchi||1|
|Revolutionary Socialist Party||1|
|Sikkim Democratic Front||1|
|All India Majlis-E-Ittehadul Muslimeen||1|
Criteria for serious criminal cases
- Offence for which maximum punishment is of 5 years or more.
- If an offence is non-bailable
- If it is an electoral offence (for eg. IPC 171E or bribery)
- Offence related to loss to exchequer
- Offences that are assault, murder, kidnap, rape related
- Offences that are mentioned in Representation of the People Act (Section 8)
- Offences under Prevention of Corruption Act
- Crimes against women.
- Winners with Criminal Cases: Out of the 542 winnersanalysed, 185 (34%) winners have declared criminal cases against themselves.Out of 521 winners analysed during Lok Sabha 2009 elections , 158 (30%) winners had declared criminal cases against themselves.
- Winners with Serious Criminal Cases: 112(21%) winners have declared serious criminal cases including cases related to murder, attempt to murder, communal disharmony, kidnapping, crimes against women etc. Out of 521 winners analysed during Lok Sabha 2009 elections , 77 (15%) winners had declared serious criminal cases against themselves.
- Winners with cases related to murder : 10 winners have declared cases related to murder . Out of these, 4 winners have been fielded by BJP , 1winner has been fielded by INC , NCP , LJP , RJD,Swabhimani Paksha each and one winner is an independent .
- Winners with cases related to Attempt to Murder: 17 winners have declared cases of attempt to murder.Out of these, 10 winners have been fielded by BJP , 2 winners by AITC and one winner each from INC, NCP, RJD, Shiv Sena and Swabhimani Paksha.
- Winners with cases related to Crimes against Women: Adv.Joice George an Independent from Idukki constituency, Kerala has declared a case related to assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty (IPC Section-354). Ahir Hansraj Gangaram of BJP from Chandrapur constituency, Maharashtra has declared a case related to Kidnapping, abducting or inducing woman to compel her marriage, etc. (IPC Section-366).
- Winners with cases related to causing Communal Disharmony: 16 winnersdeclared cases related to causing communal disharmony . Out of these, 12 winners were fielded by BJP and 1winner by TRS, Pattali Makkal Katchi, All India Majlis-E-Ittehadul Muslimeen and AIUDF each.
- Winners with cases related to Robbery and Dacoity: 10 winners have declared cases related to robbery and dacoity. Out of these, 7 winners have been fielded by BJP , 1 winner each from RJD,Swabhimani Paksha and 1 winner is an Independent.
- Winners with cases related to Kidnapping: 7 winners have declared cases related to Kidnapping. Out of these, 3 winners have been fielded by BJP, 1 winnereach from AITC , LJP and RJDeach. 1 winneris an Independent.
- Party wise Winners with Criminal Case s: 97 (35%) out of 281winnersanalysed from BJP , 8(18%) out of 44winners from INC , 6 (16%) out of 37winners from AIADMK, 15 (83%) out of 18 winners from Shiv Sena and 7 (21%) out of 34 winners fielded by AITC winners have declared criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
- Party wise Winners with Serious Criminal Cases: 61 (22%) out of 281 winners analysed from BJP , 4(9%) out of 44 winners from INC , 3 (8%) out of 37 winners from AIADMK, 8 (44%) out of 18 winners from Shiv Sena and 4 (12%) out of 34 winners fielded by AITC winners have declared serious criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
- Chances of Winning for Candidates with Criminal Cases: The chances of winning for a candidate with criminal cases in the Lok Sabha 2014 elections are 13% whereas for a candidate with a clean record it is 5%.
Chances of Winning for Candidates with Criminal Records= (Winners with Criminal Cases)/(Candidates with Criminal Cases) Chances of Winning for a Candidate with Clean Record= (Winners with a Clean Record)/(Candidates with Clean Record)
- Crorepati Winners :Out of the 542 winners analysed , 443(82%) are crorepatis. Out of 521 winners analysed during Lok Sabha 2009 elections , 300 (58%) winners were crorepatis.
- Party- wise Crorepati Winners: 237 (84%) out of 281winners analysed in BJP , 35 (80%) out of 44winners in INC , 29 (78%) out of 37winners in AIADMK and 21 (62%) out of 34winners in AITC have declared assets worth more than Rs. 1 crore.
- Chances of Winning for Crorepati Candidates:The chances of winning for a crorepati candidate in the Lok Sabha 2014 elections are 20% whereas for a candidate with low assets (<Rs. 1 crore) it is 2%.
Chances of Winning for Crorepati Candidates= (Crorepati Winners )/(Crorepati Candidates) Chances of Winning for Candidate with Low Assets= (Winners with Low Assets)/(Candidates with Low Assets)
- Candidates Asset Position and Chances of Winning: 415 winners (77%) occupy top three highest asset positions in their respective constituency. 160(30%) winners have the highest declared assets in their constituency. 142(26%) winners have the second highest declared assets in their constituency.
- Chances of Winning based on Assets: 132 (29%) out of 450 candidates with assets more than Rs. 10 crores won in the Lok Sabha 2014 elections, while 70 (22%) out of 320 candidates with assets between Rs. 5 crores to Rs. 10crores and 241(17%) out of 1443 candidates with assets between Rs. 1 crore to Rs. 5 crores won the elections.
- Average Assets :The average assets per winner for Lok Sabha 2014 elections are Rs. 14.70crores whereas the average asset for each candidate was Rs. 3.16 crores . In 2009 the average assets per winner of 521 winners analysed was Rs. 5.35 crores
- Party-wise Average Assets: Among major parties, the average assets per winner for 281BJP winnersanalysed is Rs 11.59 crores , 44INC winners have average assets of Rs.16.71 crores,37AIADMK winnershave average assets worth of Rs.6.47crores and 34AITC winners have average assets of Rs. 2.51 crores .
High Asset Winners : 32 winners have declared more than Rs.50 crores worth of assets . The top three winners with highest assets are given below:
S.No. Name State Constituency Party Name Total Assets (Rs) PAN Given 1 Jayadev Galla Andhra Pradesh Guntur TDP 6,83,05,81,361 683 Crore+ Y 2 Konda Vishweshwar Reddy Andhra Pradesh Chevella TRS 5,28,62,30,210 528 Crore+ Y 3 Gokaraju Ganga Raju Andhra Pradesh Narsapuram BJP 2,88,35,67,122 288 Crore+ Y
*Total Assets includes income of self, spouse and dependents.
- Low Asset Winners: A total of 3 winners have declared assets less than Rs. 5lakhs. The three winners with lowest assets are as follows:
|S.No.||Name||State||Constituency||Party Name||Total Assets (Rs)||PAN Given|
|1||Sumedha Nand Saraswati||Rajasthan||Sikar||BJP||34,311 34 Thou+||Y|
|2||Mahant Chand Nath Yogi||Rajasthan||Alwar||BJP||1,99,653 1 Lacs+||Y|
|3||Uma Saren||West Bengal||Jhargram||AITC||4,99,646 4 Lacs+||Y|
- Winners with High Liabilities: A total of 96 winnershave declared liabilities of Rs. 1 crore and above .Out of these 96 winners, 16 have declared liabilities of Rs. 10 crore and above. Thewinnerswith the top three liabilities are as given below:
|S.No.||Name||State||Constituency||Party Name||Total Assets(Rs)||Liabilities (Rs)||PAN Given|
|1||Srinivas Kesineni||Andhra Pradesh||Vijayawada||TDP||1,28,41,22,669 128 Crore+||71,54,62,989 71 Crore+||Y|
|2||Poonam Mahajan Alias Poonam Vajendla Rao||Maharashtra||Mumbai North Central||BJP||1,08,08,67,626 108 Crore+||41,44,79,088 41 Crore+||Y|
|3||Harsimrat Kaur Badal||Punjab||Bathinda||SAD||1,08,16,64,910 108 Crore+||41,26,34,299 41 Crore+||Y|
- Crorepati Winners with no PAN: 2 winners with total assets worth more than Rs. 1 crore have not declared PAN details. These winners are as follows:
|S.No.||Name||State||Constituency||Party Name||Total Assets (Rs)|
|1||C. L. Ruala||Mizoram||Mizoram||INC||2,57,33,421 2 Crore+|
|2||Prasanna Kumar Patasani||Odisha||Bhubaneswar||BJD||1,35,57,443 1 Crore+|
- Winners with High Income as declared in ITR: 47 winners have declared total annual income of more than Rs. 1 crore. The top three winners with highest declared annual income are given below:
|S.No.||Name||Party Name||Constituency||State||Total Assets||Total income shown by winner in ITR (Self+Spouse+Dependent)||Self income shown by winner in ITR|
|1||Jayadev Galla||TDP||Guntur||Andhra Pradesh||6,83,05,81,361 683 Crore+||16,85,54,700 16 Crore+||16,30,91,770 16 Crore+|
|2||Konda Vishweshwar Reddy||TRS||Chevella||Andhra Pradesh||5,28,62,30,210 528 Crore+||14,64,24,120 14 Crore+||62,66,140 62 Lacs+|
|3||Thambidurai.M||AIADMK||Karur||Tamil Nadu||13,24,57,262 13 Crore+||10,68,54,272 10 Crore+||17,05,970 17 Lacs+|
*Total income includes income of self, spouse and dependents
- Winners who have not declared Income Tax Details: 44(8%) winners out of 542analyzed have not declared income tax details.* Some winners may be exempted from filing Income Tax Returns
- Winners with High Assets who have not declared Income Tax Details: 25 winners with assets worth more than Rs. 1 crore, have not declared Income Tax Details.
Other Background Details
- Education Details of Winners: 1 winner has declared that he is illiterate . 126 (23%) winners have declared that have an education qualification of 12th pass or below while 405 (75%) winners have declared having an educational qualification of graduate or above .
- Age Details of Winners: 203 (37%) winners have declared their age to be between 25 to 50 years while 298 (55%) winners have declared their age to be between 51 to 70 years and 41(8%) winners have declared their age to be above 71 years .
- Gender Details of Winners: Out of 542 winner analyed, 62 (11%) winners are women while 480 (89%) winners are men. In 2009, out of 521 winners analysed, 57 (11%) winners were women.
All data on candidates, including their criminal records is sourced from their sworn affidavits submitted to the Election Commission of India (ECI). ADR does not add or subtract any information, unless the ECI changes the data. In particular, no unverified information from any other source is used by ADR.